Eye balls make great Halloween treat; chocolate covered doughnut holes that is
A freshly prepared juicy bloodshot eye on a fork may not sound like a tasty treat, but when it is made from a chocolate covered doughnut hole, it is.
I searched for a Halloween treat that even a 15-minute TV dinner-cooking college student could make with little instruction. Nine different treats made my list, ranging from witch hats to worm-filled suckers, but nothing captured my eye like the bloodshot eyeball recipe I have for you.
Addison Foote, a junior visual technology major from St. George, said,
"They look like real eyeballs, and they taste way good."
The ingredient list is short and simple. All you need is some white chocolate, two-dozen doughnut holes, red frosting and some multi-colored M&M's to create your own bloodshot eyes. They are an excellent decorative treat addition to any Halloween party and are pretty easy to make.
"They are pretty easy to make even though we can be lazy college students when it comes to cooking," said Ben Kowallis, a freshman general education major from Heber.
The hardest part when it comes to making the eyeballs is melting the chocolate. On my first attempt to melt chocolate I burnt it, and once you burn chocolate the only option is to start over. I was so frustrated to lose a half bag of prime Nestle white chocolate it motivated me to learn how to never burn chocolate again.
Chocolate melting pots can be expensive, but the basic pot sets most of us have will do the job. You will need a medium-sized pot and a glass or metal bowl.
Fill the pot halfway full of water then heat it on a stove at low heat. Once the water is warm put the bowl on top of the pot without the bowl's bottom touching water. Fill the bowl with 6-8 ounces of chocolate. Once the chocolate shows sign of melting, stir it with a wooden or plastic spoon until it forms a liquid texture. Add another 6-8 ounces of the chocolate and mix it in with the melted portion.
Remember, it is critical to keep heat at the lowest temperature or the chocolate will burn. If the chocolate starts to thicken then add one-half tablespoon of vegetable oil.
Now take a fork and stab a doughnut hole so it is securely fit for moving. Dip the doughnut into the melted chocolate, covering about three-fourths of it. Bring it out of the chocolate and turn the fork right side up with the prongs pointing to the ceiling. Tap the fork and use gravity to make the excess chocolate slip down the sides of the doughnut to cover the surface entirely. Do this over the bowl to catch the drippings.
Then place one M&M on the side of the doughnut, so it sticks to the chocolate. Place the fork in a small cup to allow the chocolate to dry. Once the chocolate has lost its shiny texture it is decorating time.
Take your tube of red frosting and decorate the eye ball with red veins. Take a minute to look at pictures of bloodshot eyes for a good reference of how they look. Be creative and have fun with it.
I had fun making this treat, and you will too. You may even get your friends to crave them like a vampire's taste for blood.
T.J. Sudweeks, a junior nursing major from Bountiful, said, "They are so good that now when I see some eyes I think of the doughnut holes, and my mouth will start to salivate."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Dixie Sun News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST DIXIE SUN NEWS
RECENT DIXIE SUN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”